The Borg are coming!

Life as a bilateral cochlear implant recipient. If the topic is new to you, check out this background information on cochlear implants; while the article is somewhat dated (1998), it does cover a fair amount of history.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

My opinions are my own, unless they would get me into trouble; in that case I don't know whose they are.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Happy Birthdy to Mark

The Borg are linking!

Happy Birthday to Mark Stern, a fine man, a leader, amd a fellow CIer.

Mark was in my thoughts today. His courage, insights, and support motivated me to pursue one, then bilateral implants. He shared wholeheartedly his personal cochlear implant research, listing the pros and cons of each device. He introduced me to Dr. Joe Roberson and Becky Highlander, such passionate care providers. I am ever so grateful that he came into my life, and to have shown me to way to a world where sounds have meanings without limit. They form the rainbows of my ear.

I went to a fundraising event for the AIDS and Breast Cancer Fund (http://www.aidsemergencyfund.org/body_events.html), and I was able to follow so much of the speakers so well, with only an glance at the interpreter for names and occasional missed words. I was touched by the speakers points and in their own words, I laughed at their jokes, even when the lips were not in my line of sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home