The Borg are coming!

Life as a bilateral cochlear implant recipient. If the topic is new to you, check out this background information on cochlear implants; while the article is somewhat dated (1998), it does cover a fair amount of history.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

My opinions are my own, unless they would get me into trouble; in that case I don't know whose they are.

Monday, July 26, 2004

Can't stop the music, in stereo!

We were out dancing for the first time since getting the second implant. Hearing in stereo gave a new dimension to the music! I could tell how each side picked up the sound differently. Every now and then, the streams would deliciously meld together in my head, sending me into orbit. I've always loved to jump and spin with the beat, and it's definitely easier now. Occasionally I would test turning one or the other side off, and I'd be struck with how much flatter the music seemed.

One downside was the cables are twice as easy to accidently knock off. I could tell that freaked out some people; they could deal with remembering to leave the right side of my head alone, but now they have to keep their hands lower than my face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home