The Borg are coming!

Life as a bilateral cochlear implant recipient. If the topic is new to you, check out this background information on cochlear implants; while the article is somewhat dated (1998), it does cover a fair amount of history.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

My opinions are my own, unless they would get me into trouble; in that case I don't know whose they are.

Wednesday, September 25, 2002

First day hearing with the cochlear implant

This morning, after the initial mapping (calibration of each channel/frequency for minimum and maximum volume) the CI was turned on with all channels. At first everything sounded very high pitched and monotone; voices sounded like Minnie Mouse on amphetamines. My audiologist said I was the first to describe the initial impression as such; others have used cartoon characters like Porky Pig and Mickey Mouse.

Toward the end of activation, the audiologist had me use the phone plug accessory (directly connects the CI to the phone) and dialed up her voicemail. I could hear the dial tone, the individual keypad tones and even grasp a few words like “you have reached the “voicemail” and “thank you.” I was able to do this with the hearing aid, so it wasn't a new experience for me. She was floored, explaining that most CI recipients don't gain that kind of discrimination so soon after activation, so I'm pretty excited by the potential.

Now a more full range is coming in, but still biased toward high frequencies. This effect is normal and will fade over the next few days as my brain adjusts. I was given the SPrint, the body processor to take home.

I've been experimenting with watching TV: I'm able to understand newscasters by lip reading and the CI, whereas I couldn't do that with hearing aids. I also listened to a couple of songs from Les Miserables. I am able to track along with the lyrics more easily even now, than before. The voices come through more distinctly than with hearing aids, but I don’t hear the music as much yet. Listening to classical music is a disturbing experience: it sounds like gurgling and trilling, not relaxing at all.

I go back tomorrow for modifications.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home