The Borg are coming!

Life as a bilateral cochlear implant recipient. If the topic is new to you, check out this background information on cochlear implants; while the article is somewhat dated (1998), it does cover a fair amount of history.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

My opinions are my own, unless they would get me into trouble; in that case I don't know whose they are.

Thursday, October 24, 2002

One month adjustment: introduction of low frequency emphasis and using ADRO

After the mappings, I was tested on speech comprehension and I'm up to 30%, as compared with 18% with the hearing aid. Granted that these are simple sentences in a controlled setting, but it's a great sign of how much more I'm understanding speech.

I've now switched to the body pack and will be testing out the various settings for the next few days. A few observations I wanted to note for future reference:

• I'm using volume 7 for all 4 programs. It's great to have such high sound input with no facial twitching.
• Music sounds wonderful now!!!
• With either low emphasis setting, whistling high notes sound strange; they sound very breathy and too much of the high pitch is lost. • On the other hand, music sounds richer and more full with the low emphasis settings.
• With either low emphasis setting, the computer fan is once again noticeable and somewhat distracting. I assume I will get used to it with time.

I haven't had a chance yet to experiment with listening to books on CD, and I will do so in the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home