The Borg are coming!

Life as a bilateral cochlear implant recipient. If the topic is new to you, check out this background information on cochlear implants; while the article is somewhat dated (1998), it does cover a fair amount of history.

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

My opinions are my own, unless they would get me into trouble; in that case I don't know whose they are.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Who is master now?

In Spiderman-2 movie, Doc Ock uses 4 snake-like protheses as extra arms, and these are directed with an artificial intelligence (AI) chip. In the course of an experience gone haywire, the arms fuse permanently to his body, and the AI takes over his brain, changing his relationship with the prostheis to one of slave/servant. I can't help but draw parallels.

The dividing line between human and machine is still clear with the cochlear implants, but for how long? It was still a struggle for me to go ahead with getting them, knowing that I would -- for all practical purposes -- be integrated with and dependent on the devices for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home